Final Piece Update – 10th May

DSCN0858.JPG

I have been continuing with my final Piece and as I mentioned in the last post, I have been making good progress. 

As you can see, the images above show my previous development, which continues to the images below. I feel that the tones to the painting are merging well together and I recently decided to add the colour green, which I personally think adds definition to the subject.

Throughout my work, I have been constantly thinking about the different Artists, which I have recently been studying such as Elly Smallwood, and I have been making sure that my work is in some ways conjunctive with their styles without echoing their work too much. Furthermore, I feel that it has been important for me to keep other Artist’s in mind as it encourages me to be more open with my palette and brush movements. 

As you can see in the image below, you may be able to see that there is are some lines from where the paint had ran down the board, which seems to add interest to the painting on a bigger scale.

DSCN0874

I was also faced with the problem of the sun shining onto my board, however I think the image below works well as the light is only highlighting certain aspects of the painting, which I think creates a visually interesting photograph. Overall, I feel that this piece still has a long way to go before it reaches it’s completion, but I want to carry on with the direction, which I have so far taken. 

DSCN0872

 

8ft x 4ft Oil Painting/Final Piece- 1st May

I have recently begun work on my final piece, which has so far turned out fairly well. As you can see in the first image, I had already completed the preparation for my board, which I have discussed in a blog post prior.

I began with the eyes, as I feel that they are the most important feature of the image I am painting and require a higher level of detail. If you look closely, you can also see that I had faintly marked out the outline of my Dad’s face, to make the painting process much easier.

DSCN0839

I decided that Oil Paint would be the best form of paint for me to use, as I have the most experience using it and so, I knew that there would be a smaller chance of me having issues with blending and layering the paint. As you can see in the image below, I was keen to make sure that I incorporated a wide range of pastel/nude tones, as I felt that these colours add a certain level of interest to the painting, due to the fact that they don’t necessarily go accordingly with the colours from the actual image of the picture, which I had taken of my Dad.

I like that the colours do not match the picture and that I have taken on a more sporadical method of applying my paint, as I want my painting to serve a different purpose, rather than just echoing a picture; I wanted to create a sense of movement and dynamism and that is why I might choose to leave areas of the board unpainted.

DSCN0845

DSCN0849.JPG

As you can see, I have been recording the progress of my painting and I feel that it is important to capture the profession of the start to the end. Also, I did mention to Sally, that I would be producing a non-stop time lapse, which could be included in the final show, however I didn’t think I would be able to fit such a long video onto my memory card and so, I have decided to take lots of images instead, which will hopefully work together as a slideshow.

Pitch Written Feedback-23rd February

As you can see above, I have received some positive feedback back after carrying out my pitches. It was said that I was well prepared, and had already been experimenting and developing ideas, which I am pleased about as I made sure to have some work done before I cam into the pitch, so that I could be sure about my initial idea.

Sally and Daniel also said that I was open to suggestion and enjoys freedom of experimentation, which are both true. Overall, I am really happy with how my new project is coming into shape, and I was given some useful advice by my teachers, with how I can develop my work.