I have recently begun work on my final piece, which has so far turned out fairly well. As you can see in the first image, I had already completed the preparation for my board, which I have discussed in a blog post prior.
I began with the eyes, as I feel that they are the most important feature of the image I am painting and require a higher level of detail. If you look closely, you can also see that I had faintly marked out the outline of my Dad’s face, to make the painting process much easier.
I decided that Oil Paint would be the best form of paint for me to use, as I have the most experience using it and so, I knew that there would be a smaller chance of me having issues with blending and layering the paint. As you can see in the image below, I was keen to make sure that I incorporated a wide range of pastel/nude tones, as I felt that these colours add a certain level of interest to the painting, due to the fact that they don’t necessarily go accordingly with the colours from the actual image of the picture, which I had taken of my Dad.
I like that the colours do not match the picture and that I have taken on a more sporadical method of applying my paint, as I want my painting to serve a different purpose, rather than just echoing a picture; I wanted to create a sense of movement and dynamism and that is why I might choose to leave areas of the board unpainted.
As you can see, I have been recording the progress of my painting and I feel that it is important to capture the profession of the start to the end. Also, I did mention to Sally, that I would be producing a non-stop time lapse, which could be included in the final show, however I didn’t think I would be able to fit such a long video onto my memory card and so, I have decided to take lots of images instead, which will hopefully work together as a slideshow.